What about when I ask questions with unnecessary words? For instance: "I want to hang out with you, if you're not doing anything and feel like hanging out with me and..." I mean, all these different disclaimers and buffers for rejection... Our hesitation to simply put ourselves out there and see what happens. We say we don't want people to feel pressured, but to be honest, I don't think the cause is that noble. In truth, what I see are people giving themselves emotional padding by saying those things so that when someone doesn't want to hang out with them, they don't get hurt.
I see, in our unnecessary words, that we are trying to hide ourselves from pain. I understand that to a point, but I've spent so much time lately having to tell even my closest friends "Don't worry about all of that, just speak your mind...." or "Of course I am going to be honest, why wouldn't I be?"
What has happened to us? I know, I see, but I don't understand. Everyone has their own way they got there, but I just want to get out of this and into more simplicity. This starts with not lying about things like "I'm not interested in dating you, but being friends works..." on the first or second meetup as opposed to dating someone for six months, allowing them to invest mentally, emotionally, financially, then deciding that you can't force yourself to love them no matter how hard you tried to let them grow on you over time...
Or lying to yourself about what sexual orientation you have or even the fact that you aren't sure about it or working at a job you hate when you don't have to (if you have to, i feel you). Not giving time or a label to people that aren't your friends. My sisters have these. They're called associates. These are what they call "hi - bye" relationships. No. I can't do all that. If you're my friend, then you are and if not then you are not and I'm not going to pretend for anyone about that.
It's so many things. Pretending to like things you don't like (not that you can't expand or broaden or try new things, but scatting?) or just doing other assorted things to be accepted and appear cool...
Let me ask: how on earth is anyone going to be able to know if they are truly loved or can be truly loved if they never allow people to see who they really are? How can I? I'm sure the people that love me love me because I choose and put energy into always being myself no matter what the backlash is.
Does anyone understand where I am coming from with all of this?
I think honesty is often overrated, but simplicity doesn't get the attention it should have...
ReplyDeletehonesty as overrated? probably not. being blunt is overrated, but honesty not so much. being blunt is something that you are to other people, but honest is something that you are with yourself. with all the masking i see in myself and in others, being honest is hardly overrated.
ReplyDeletethank you so much for commenting, though, ed :)
I completely understand this, Synx!
ReplyDeleteBut be careful what you wish for.
I always thought if I showed people who I really was, the ugly part of myself deep inside, that no one would love me.
So that's why I often hide it all.....as best I can anyway.
And I don't think you have to be honest to get love, but I think you have to learn to love yourself and then others will want to love you too.
Maybe that's why I'm alone.
Things to ponder.......
-Dean
@dean: be careful what I wish for? You should read my older entries this year. I know well what I ask for. Believe me. I don't think it is possible for one to be truly loved without being honest -- people can only choose to love when they can perceive and if I make who I really am imperceptible, then I can't be loved for real and I want to be loved for real and not only when I'm "okay" or "having a good day". It's not even just that I want that as much as I need it -- that is, I NEED to know that I will still be just as loved even if I fall apart for a while. It's cool to live without that for a little while and we get by all right, but the more time goes on, the harder it becomes to live life by weaker love. It's like trying to satisfy a craving for a true relationship by having hookups all your life because finding true love is too hard :(
ReplyDelete