10 June 2012

For That Which I Rejoice


Yesterday was turned around by an odd set of circumstances. I intended, in full, to avoid people. I slept in late. I wore headphones. Yada yada.

As I decided to get some food and finally interact with people, I was reminded there was a wedding today and that I should dress casually for it. As such, I wore jeans. I was told, by the roommate I soon discovered did not know the difference between "casual" and "formal", that I couldn't wear jeans to this wedding. I ended up in my grey suit. We were on our way, rather shortly, to Chamblee for a traditional cambodian wedding.

Upon arriving, we were sent away to grab more pens. We ended up in a store where the person at the counter didn't know much english (she spoke spanish). Rickey looked at me nervously, then asked me to ask her where the pens were. I did. Unfortunately, there were none, but the conversation went well enough.

We picked some up at a nearby gas station and headed back to the wedding. We were greeted by the bride, groom and the rest of the wedding party. The guys were dressed like the person in the picture above. There was a ten course dinner, but there were three of those courses at least I couldn't eat. It was good food. There was heineken and cognac. I just had the heineken (this is beer, by the way) and stuck with coke or water for the evening. There was a lot of talking, eating and laughing. Mostly in cambodian, which I enjoyed even if I didn't understand a single word.

There was a lot of traditional music and a fair bit of dancing. Of course, I took to this quickly once they got me out onto the dance floor. Everyone from the young to the old (and especially the old) took full advantage of that time to have all the fun they could. No one present managed to avoid dancing. It was so fun. So simple. I had all of the things on my mind that I normally do, but I gave it a break and enjoyed the moment I was in. The changing of the bridal dress signaling the different stagesd  of the wedding, the way people picked up food to feed other people. The modesty of dress. The amount of phones out at times. It was delightful and I enjoyed all of the time I spent there just taking it all in.

Some moments are just too good to waste any time thinking about all the things you have to be sad, angry or frustrated about.

I'm glad I went.

With that, I return to the rain outside and a good book.

2 comments:

  1. wow that sounds like so much fun!!! I think I would have enjoyed it too. Sounds like something else I've heard about that both of us will be partakers of in the future.

    As Sven used to say, "Stand Strong!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sven... that name brings about more low-level pain than I wish I had to admit, but indeed. Stand strong I shall.

      Delete