06 March 2010

where friends should be

I went to spend the night with Turk and fell asleep almost an hour later. We got there pretty late, though. It was lovely, though. I had a whole night's sleep and everything.

The next day, we had breakfast and was told that I needed to get dressed. Today was a special day -- they were going to see their grandmother's grave today and pay respects. We packed lawn chairs and iranian food and headed there. The music was cool on the way.

I listened to them talk about their favorite memories as we laid roses on the site. We offered dates and walnuts to every person that walked by. Everyone searched for appropriate words to say about varying things they loved about this woman. She loved everyone. She disciplined the kids. She tried to learn english. She loved to say "Thank you very very much..." When it came to my turn to ask about a memory, I asked what her favorite place to go was and what her favorite song was.

The song was a peaceful song and we let the song fill us up. Soon, we left and at that point, Ramin cried. Hard. I left the family to themselves for a moment and felt like a guardian angel watching them.

I thanked everyone for inviting me along and thought about this whole affair as we left. This is what it means to be a friend: to be laughter in joy and a tear in sorrow. They were kind to allow me to be there and I thank them for letting me share a little of their sorrow and a little of their joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment